Last Friday it was getting near the end of my shift. I'd wandered up to the tower cause I was bored and I wanted to check if anyone wanted a break before I went home. No one did, but I continued to sit up in the tower and shoot the shit with my coworkers. A few minutes later, an aural alert went off, accompanied by a red EM on the radar scope. We were all like WTF? so my coworker zoomed out on his scope and we saw a target way out of our airspace up near FWA at FL390 squawking 7700 (emergency!). I wasn't working so I went to another scope and watched it (in horror). With each scan, it dropped 4000' to 5000'. In under 3 minutes it had dropped from FL390 to 10,000'. I thought for sure it was going to KEEP descending, and I was feeling a little nauseous at the prospect. When it leveled off at 10,000 I breathed a sigh of relief and guessed there was some sort of pressurization problem. I recalled something from the academy about unpressurized flight only occurring at or below 10,000'. I'm so smart!!
Anyway, a few minutes later the phone rang, the plane was coming here to land (it was a pressurization problem after all). So they made me work ground. It'd been a hot minute since I'd worked an emergency on ground control, probably as far back as when I was still training (October-ish!). So I muddled my way through that, and the plane landed without incident. and I breathed several more sighs of relief.
Almost a week later and I'm still vomiting in my mouth a little thinking about that ridiculous descent rate. Had I been on that plane I'd probably have been barfing everywhere. Guess that's why I'm a controller, not a pilot!
(side note: squawking is a dumb word. it requires way too much concentration to type/spell right.)
hmmm... what else? Nothing, really. Still keeping on keeping on in training. the end may be in sight, but I don't want to jinx myself and end up with 8 MORE months of training :/ my new favorite thing to tell people is that I could've had a baby in the time it's taken me and my 2 RDO-mates to certify.
Also I had a man show up at my door today with a can full of ant-killer. very exciting! no more ants! I even left some food crumbs out while I was at work and NO! NOT ONE ANT! Hooray! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment